29 Jan A New Year for Mediation in 2020!
As 2019 comes to a close the Montana Mediation Association (MtMA) is gearing up to make 2020 the best year yet for mediation and mediators in Montana. Thank you for all of your ongoing support and interest. Check out all the latest below as we kick off a great new year!
THE BILLINGS MEDIATION CENTER RUNS LOCAL TV SPOTS
If you live in the Billings area, you can see commercials occurring in the next several weeks on ABC 6 and FOX 4 television channels advertising the upcoming Mediation Fundamentals Training (see below) presented by the Billings Mediation Center. Since the Billings Mediation Center supports the MtMA by allowing discounts for members of all levels and refers cases to MtMA members, we hope this exposure will benefit all member mediators by driving interest in mediation. This first-time advertising is thanks to the center’s membership in the Billings Chamber of Commerce.
MEDIATION IN THE NEWS
- McKnight’s Long-Term Care news published a short article about the MtMA’s innovative elder mediation program for preventing resident discharges
- There was a timely post on Mediate.com about creative ways for co-parents to design their winter holiday parenting time
- Mediate.com also posted a thought-provoking opinion about why student peer mediation is not appropriate for resolving bullying in schools
- The New York Law journal published a piece about what it means for attorneys to provide “zealous representation” to their clients in mediation
COMMUNITY CIRCLES CONTRIBUTES TO THE MtMA
The MtMA received a generous $2,500 gift from a long-time Montana conflict resolution organization, Community Circles. The Community Circles program was initiated in 2002, has trained more than 150 Circle Keepers across Montana. It has helped many individuals and families resolve their difficulties by providing a safe, comfortable, and confidential space in which to tell their stories, be heard, and develop strength to work through and resolve their issues. Community Circles has decided to wind down its operations and distribute the remaining assets to other organizations dedicated to helping people interact more effectively. The MtMA is incredibly grateful for this donation and for all of the transformative work Community Circles has done over the past two decades.
If you are interested in joining Community Circles in supporting the MtMA, you can always do so at our donation page or mail a check to ‘Montana Mediation Association’ at 19960 Hwy 91 N, Glen, MT 59732
UPCOMING MEDIATION TRAININGS
Foundations of Mediation Training (Missoula)
- Through its training, Missoula’s Community Dispute Resolution Center (CDRC) has been molding skilled mediators for over twenty years
- This highly acclaimed 40-hour training will also include Advanced Mediation Topics in Workplace Issues and Family Mediation, and will provide you with the skills needed to help create a more positive and peaceful community and offer you the initial stepping-stones to becoming an MtMA Certified Mediator
- January 6 – 10, 2020, 8:00- 5:00
- $1000.00 (group discounts available, as well as reduced pricing for students and those interested in becoming a volunteer for the center)
- For more information please call (406)543-1157 or visit CDRCMissoula.org
- The Training will be held at the Blewett School of Law at the University of Montana and will be a collaborative effort with the UM Law School
Mediation Fundamentals Training (in-person/online)
- The Billings Mediation Center will once again host this affordable blended (in-person/online) training in the Spring of 2020 (February, March and April).
- This training can be taken anywhere in the state. All you need is an internet connection and (ideally) some local partners with whom to do role plays.
- Click here for more information
- Reach out to the center if you are interested: firstname.lastname@example.org
HOW CAN WE BE BETTER?
We are here to serve mediators and mediation in Montana, so if you have any thoughts, suggestions, questions, needs or feedback about how we can do our work better, we are all ears! You can always reach us via email or over the phone: 406-579-2371